Friday, December 12, 2008

A touching phone call.

This morning I was pleasantly surprised and treated to a most unexpected phone call. It all started last year when I met sweet Mandy B. at a networking event. When she found out that I was a photographer, Mandy jumped at the chance for me to photograph her oldest daughter who was soon to graduate from High School. While we were at the photo session (which was awesome, I might add) Mandy told me about her other daughter who was a few years younger than the senior I was shooting. According Mandy, her other daughter Shelby has always shown an interest in photography. Mandy went on to tell me that it would be so great if I would consider letting Shelby come along with me for some photo sessions just so she could get an idea of what it was all like.

Well, as many of you know, if I’m shooting on location for either a portrait session or an event, I will always try to have an assistant with me. So, fast forward a bit to my next session, I gave Mandy a call and asked if her younger daughter Shelby was truly interested in tagging along with me. And much to my delight, little Shelby jumped at the opportunity! Not only was she willing to help me out during my shoot, she was quite the little sponge and was taking in everything that I had to share with her. Now mind you, I could talk all day about photography to my friends and family, and most of the time there eyes just start to glaze over with boredom (yes, I can talk about photography that much ) .. But not Shelby! She took in everything that I had to say even if it did not truly apply to her preferred style of photography. And since that first successful and fun event together, I have gladly called her back to help with many more sessions and events. Some were paid jobs and some were not, but that never stopped her from being a great student.

And you know what is the coolest thing, she has always listened to every tip and trick that I can possibly share with her. From there she applies it to her own budding photography style, but she skillfully makes it her own. It’s one thing to learn from someone and simply re-create that same look and effect, but it’s completely different to apply that knowledge in a different way. Shelby takes all the knowledge that I share with her and makes it her own. That’s the true mark of an artist in my opinion!

So, now back to the phone call. It’s been almost a year since I have had the pleasure to meet and begin mentoring Shelby, and this morning her mom Mandy, called me. Not to book a session, not to ask if I had any more sessions for Shelby to assist me with, but just to say “Thank you” for sharing all that I know and for inspiring Shelby to learn all that she can. Wasn’t that the sweetest thing?!?!?! My eyes are still welling up with pride and Mandy sure made my morning with that unexpected phone call… and I don’t think anything will take this silly smile of my face all day!

If you’d like to see some of Shelby’s photography works, please take a moment to check out her MySpace profile and be sure to leave her some love. She is quite the budding artist and I am oh so very proud to call her my friend :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You so bless me. I only wish we lived closer. You are so blessed because your proteges mom was thankful. What a beautiful heart!
Love you, Melissa